An earlier versions of this was originally posted at Access World Forums in August 2017.
This application was designed to show many different ways of getting users' attention.
Experienced users will be familiar with many of these ideas already.
1. Formatted message boxes
2. Customised message boxes with HTML formatting & countdown timer
3. Flashing, scrolling and balloon tooltip text
4. Flashing and scrolling form title bar caption text
5. Dim / blur / remove background
6. Adding warning sounds (use speakers if possible)
7. A simple 'You have 3 new messages' type feature
Hopefully the code for each approach will be easy to follow and to incorporate into your own applications.
Please don't OVERDO any of the more 'overt' methods or you risk annoying the users of your apps!
a) Some items are intended to be less serious than others!
b) The zip file includes all images & sounds used by this example database.
Click to download: Attention Seeking Database (zipped)
Click any image to view a larger version ...